Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sunday is Not For the Weary...

Sundays are supposed to be a day of rest.  Or at least for those of us who don't have little kids right?!?!

Our Sundays start off at 6:30 am to the baby screeching to get up or a little boy trying to climb into bed with us.  Today, it was Chris' day to sleep in so I headed downstairs with pretty little miss and started our usual morning routine.  Put away dishes, bottle and breakfast, and pretty soon the three rugrats were awake.

By 8 am, I have already done my second round of dishes, we are on round two of breakfast, I have snuck in the daily headlines on the Today show, and little miss is showing signs that she will soon be ready for the morning nap.  Oh, and I finally got to my cup of coffee.

Chris finally awakes and I quickly change and sneak out for a run.  My only solo time for the day.  Lately, I have been running my mile splits a little faster, I must be pumped just to have some time with just me and my Pandora.  I arrive home and Chris quickly sneaks away for his work out.  

And then the madness really begins.  Every Sunday it's a struggle.  Getting all three of these kids dressed and ready (AND ourselves) before it's time to head out for church.  But somehow magically it happens and this is what we look like before we head out the door...
(Don't judge about the fire hat and yes, he does have matching boots on as well.  If it makes him happy, all the power to him, right?)


Thankfully, today we got a great parking spot on the street near church and maybe for the first time ever dropped all three kids off in their classrooms and arrived in the church BEFORE the service started.  Another great sermon this morning before picking up all three little ones...

A quick stop for coffee on the way home (drive thru is the only way we roll some days) to help keep us functioning for the rest of the day.  Lunch is called, Look in the Fridge and pick out what you want to eat.  The boys agreed on bagels and cream cheese, Abby had a nice smorgasbord, while I had a combination of wasabi peas and cottage cheese.  Can you tell we need to head to the store?

Then, it's nap time for the two littles.  Abby went down easy-peasy.  Not a fuss in sight.  I wish to say the same about his brother who couldn't find the right Transformer to go to bed with and who cried hysterically on the floor saying that he wasn't tired only to fall asleep five minutes later.

Now that it's nap time, it was time for me to sneak away to run errands (with my sidekick Aiden).  We stopped at Carter's to use some credit that I had to spend by the end of the month, popped in the shoe store just because I only had one child on my side instead of three, and then headed over to get groceries.  Aiden loves the grocery store because living near the urban center, we get to park underground and take the escalator up to the store.  It seriously thrills him every time.

$150 dollars later, I walk out with enough food to make oh, about three meals.  Seriously, when did groceries get so expensive?  And trust me, I shop the sales.

We head home.  The two little ones are awake and ready to dig in whatever food I may have bought at the store.  Now it's time to unload groceries and start dinner.  Chris calls his parents and keeps the kids (and his parents) entertained with FaceTime while I magically put together dinner as fast as I can.  This also means Abby is tearing through the cupboards, the dogs are yearning to get out of their kennel, and laundry needs to be turned over.  And with the cold weather day, that means the boys are riding bikes and scooters through the house to burn their energy.

Dinner is finally ready.  And served.  And lo and behold, the boys decide they aren't hungry and eat about two tablespoons of food declaring they are full.  Chris and I are too tired to fight.  Dessert is put away for another day and it's time to head upstairs to put away the ever-lasting pile of laundry while the kids get ready for bed.  

Laundry for three kids really adds up quick.  A half hour later, the laundry is put away.  Kids have pajamas on.  And rooms are straightened up.  Chris does the boys' bedtime while I put Abby down.  She refuses bottle so I place her in bed.  I head back downstairs to fold more laundry.  She cries.  I head back upstairs.  This time, she drinks the bottle and goes to sleep.  Chris finishes boys and says good-night.

Aiden starts crying.  WHY?  Oh, you could only guess.  "I'm hungry.  I'm oh so hungry."  Too tired to fight, I grab his half peanut butter sandwich that he had yet to finish from dinner and bring it up.  Forty minutes later, little Andrew needs to go potty again.  Chris heads back up.  Finally, Operation Bedtime and Operation Sunday is over.

Sunday is the Day of Rest, says no parent ever.  In Chris' words, Monday through Friday is his day of rest.  Trust me when I say that his job is no easy thing, but it's where he heads for just a few moments of quiet.  And rest.

Now me, on the other hand, when is there rest?  It's called never.  Or almost never.  But when I see the smiles on these faces, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Happy Sunday!
(Photos taken from our sunny Sunday last week!  Too bad, it's supposed to snow AGAIN this week)













No comments: