Sunday, October 11, 2015

Family Trip to Blowing Rock, Linville Falls & Caverns

The next day with Chris still gone, we woke up to some sunshine so we decided let's head outside!  We decided to head to one of my dad's favorite spot, Linville Falls.  I want to say that hiking with the three kids looked like this the entire way:

But honestly by day four of traveling, our hike looked more like this:


Yep, they weren't quite the hikers like they were on day one.  I'm pretty sure I carried at least one the entire way.  And a few tears and many laughs from strangers happened along the way :)  We were quite the sight to see!  But we did manage to enjoy a little bit of nature...
 And each other...
 We finally reached the falls & I tried to snap a picture of all three.  As usual, that didn't work.
 As we moved closer to the waterfalls, the rocks had lots of puddles from the rain the day before.  Many people were just hanging on the rocks watching the waterfalls, but my kids decided that puddle jumping was way more fun.  We didn't stay down here too long as the kids were getting soaked and muddy and I knew we still had to get these rugrats hiked back to the car.
 But we had fun, I think :)
After enjoying some lunch out at a little mountain cafe, we decided to head to the Linville Caverns.  True cave exploring for us.  Can you tell that this mom is getting tired from traveling solo with the kids?
 I don't have pictures from the caves as it was dark & scary down there, but it was really interesting.  We got to walk through the caves with a tour guide and learned all sorts of things.  The only downside as I lost my camera lens cap down the endless pool of water as we were walking across it, but thankfully my dad had an extra one.  We somehow survived the hour long tour with the three kids & it definitely was quite an experience!

We headed home to hibernate and relax for the rest of the day after all those adventures!

No comments: