Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer Adventures in Blowing Rock, NC

So we started our first trip for the summer bright and early Tuesday morning heading south to see my parents! Chris dropped me off on the airport with a suitcase, a carseat, two carry-ons, a stroller carrying Aiden, and Andrew in the Baby Bjorn-my hands were full!!!! We were hoping to do the curbside check-in but they weren't open so early therefore, I headed into the airport with my arms loaded! After we checked in and headed towards our gate, I realized that I forgot Aiden's backpack full of toys and treats for the airplane ride in the car. Oh No!
I survived my first experience flying solo with the boys, even with no toys to keep my 2 1/2 year old entertained. We had a layover in Charlotte but we kept busy by feeding Andrew, changing diapers, taking a potty break for Aiden, and taking in the sights of the airport. I would have to say that my boys did WONDERFUL on the airplane. I was a little nervous when we got on the plane and Aiden started whining that he wanted to see his MeMe over and over and over, but that quickly ended and the rest of the trip was pretty smooth sailing. Andrew was either sleeping or playing quietly with toys, while Aiden was occupied by playing games, watching out the window, and enjoying some lollipops! We finally arrived in Raleigh at noontime. After a quick lunch at ChikFilA, the boys (and me!) took a short nap while my mom had to finish working for the day. That evening, we headed over to my grandma's house for some pizza and Oreos. Our first night away from home was a DISASTER which ended up with Andrew sleeping with me and Aiden sleeping in MeMe's bed. Let's just say that a little boy decided he was scared and neither child would sleep-it makes one mommy want to pull her hair out. (Knock on wood, but every night since then has seemed to get a little better!)
Our adventure continued on Wednesday, when we headed to Grandpa's house in Blowing Rock, NC located in the mountains of North Carolina. After a long drive, we arrived at my dad's house and enjoyed relaxing and playing around for the rest of the night. There's nothing like lounging around when you are in the mountains:)
Yesterday, after a short morning nap for Andrew, we headed towards Roan Mountain to do some hiking. The wild rhododendron bushes were in bloom which made for a beautiful site. Thankfully, MeMe survived the hike (just barely, she says) and Aiden was lucky that Grandpa offered to carry him on his shoulders or he would probably still be trying to climb the mountain. After our long hike, we enjoyed a nice lunch including some fried asparagus and a trip to the general store for a new mail truck toy for Aiden and a John Deere shirt for Andrew, and finally collapsed at home for the rest of the evening.

Some pictures from our hiking adventure yesterday:
Enjoying the views!
MeMe and Aiden
Me and little Andrew
Enjoying the wild grass
Having so much fun at the top:)
Can you tell that I have my hands full?
The beautiful rhododendron bushes!

Now we are off to enjoy another day in the mountains!

No comments: