Monday, April 6, 2015

Half Marathon Fun with Olivia

This is usually a place to only talk about our kids, but I have to share about an exciting adult adventure last month!  I decided last November that I was going to sign up for the Rock & Roll Half Marathon here in DC.  Since having children, I haven't attempted any sort of long distance (a far cry from several marathons & half marathons in college).  Having three little kids close in age, I have never had time to fully devote to training but this was my new challenge to help stay somewhat in shape this winter & pass the long winter months.  I texted my friend Olivia (dear friend since high school) & she immediately joined the fun, signed up, and bought a ticket to come visit from Colorado!

We had such a fun visit with Olivia for a nice long weekend.  It's nice to have friends that no matter how far away or how infrequent you see each other, life is always fun & awesome when you are together!


She survived the chaos of our house & my three little rugrats.  She tagged along with my daily schedule, helping me get kids to school & manage the wild crew!


 The day of the race came & it was cold.  And wet.  Like super wet & cold.  We prepared ourselves with a quick trip to REI the day before & picking up some super awesome matching rain coats to help us fend off the rain just a bit.  We woke up at like 5 am, picked up a few friends from here, & took the Metro on in to start the race.  It was a super cold wait, but somehow we are still smiling...


Two hours later & we successfully finished the race with one of my dear friends here, Kadie.


 We look so happy in that picture above, but as soon we realized how cold & wet we were (and super sore!), it was a long walk to the Metro & an even longer ride on the always delayed Metro home.  I started to feel super nauseous on the way home & I totally was that crazy person that nobody wanted to sit by on the Metro...


But after a hot shower & spending the rest of the day lounging on the couch under a heated blanket, life was pretty awesome.  I'm so happy to have done the race & it was just that much more special to have Olivia here to visit.  We hope that she comes again soon!


1 comment:

Beyond the Sunrise said...

Jules, Olivia and Kadie -- Great!!