Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Few Days as a Family of Five...

I'm going to try and stay up to date, but I can't promise this will continue once Chris heads back to work!  But rewind back to Sunday...

We had lined up plans with our neighbor, Courtney, to watch the kids while we had sweet baby girl.  The one weekend that they were heading out of town happened to be this past weekend.  What would be the chances? 

So after heading to the gym on Sunday morning for a short work out, our family headed off to Target to get a few groceries and household items and to pick up a special treat for all at Starbucks!  We arrived home around noon and I started to feel some slight contractions, but thought NO WAY this can't be it!  Chris got the kids fed while I took a quick shower and decided to rest for a few minutes thinking that the contractions would go away.  NOPE---so we called Uncle Nate just in case and he started his venture out from the city towards our house.  Courtney and her family were on their way back home, due to arrive around four, and I got in contact with another friend that could watch the kids just in case.

The contractions were pretty close together, three to five minutes, but were not long or intense so I just couldn't figure it out.  After consulting with the doctor and remembering my short labor with Andrew, we finished packing my bag and waited for Nate to arrive!  Nate arrived shortly there after and we were off (Poor Uncle Nate, nothing like throwing him into life with our boys and let's remind everyone that he had never even changed a dirty diaper!).  

We arrived at hospital in early labor in late afternoon but by 5:30, it was the real deal!  After the doctor broke my water, I went from 3 cm to 8 cm in less than 25 minutes and shortly thereafter, sweet baby Abigail arrived!  

Where does the name come from?  Abigail is named after one of best childhood friends, Abby, who died of cancer.  She was a really special, optimistic, and positive addition to my life and I am so excited to be able to name my sweet girl after her.  Snow is from my Grandma---we all call her Grandma Snow (although that is not her real name), but I really wanted to honor her in Abby's name.  

Our hospital stay was short and sweet!  Chris actually was back at our house a lot of the time taking care of the boys, but left them in the care of Courtney a couple times to head over and check on me and baby girl.  Nurses and doctors were great and as a mom of three, I was lucky to be left alone to savor the quiet time with my baby girl before heading home to the chaos...

Dressed and ready to go... 



We headed home Tuesday morning...

On our way home, we picked up Andrew from Courtney's house where he was lucky to spend the morning at a friends' class and have a play date with FOUR girls!  I think he likes his baby sister, what do you think?


Aiden had extended lunch at school so we could get home with baby Abigail but he was SO excited to arrive home to see his baby sister.  He really really loves her so far!


We have spent lots of time at home just soaking up our new addition who loves to sleep, eat, sleep, eat, and sleep some more...


This morning, we experience life with three---trying to get Aiden to his Easter concert at school on time:  both big boys dressed and ready by 8:30 so they could head out.  Chris is playing Mr. Mom...he took the kids to the Easter concert, library story time, Aiden's Spanish class, a walk around the neighborhood, and a special Daddy/Andrew date to Home Depot! 


I would have to say that we are pretty lucky to have these three sweet kiddos as our little ones...don't you think?


And so thankful to have this cutie pie join the family!


3 comments:

Beyond the Sunrise said...

A week to remember! Thanks for sharing. AAA - You are truly blessed!

The Petrie Family said...

Congrats Julie! Abby is so adorable and I am so so happy for you!

jody said...

The pictures are wonderful. We are all so blessed. Love you all!