Monday, May 23, 2011

Run Aiden Run!

About a month ago, I slowly started running again after having Andrew and the unfortunate broken ankle. This is the longest that I have gone without running since I was probably fourteen years old:) My ankle is not fully healed but I wear an ankle brace and have been only venturing out for short jogs a couple times a week to get my body back used to some exercise.
On a whim last weekend, I signed up for a 5k here in town. I don't even think that I have run three miles as the only times that I get to run is with the boys in the jogging stroller and the longest runs we have done are less than 30 minutes! But I knew I could do it and it didn't take much convincing from Chris before I signed up. Even better, they had a kids' race so I signed Aiden up for his VERY FIRST road race!
Fast forward to this past Sunday. I woke up after waking several times during the night with little bug, Andrew, and I was kicking myself for signing us up. I was exhausted and we had to get both kids fed and changed as well as ourselves and out the door by 8:30...not an easy feat! Somehow we did it and were on our way to the race at a park here in town.
Thankfully, I ran into another mom that I have met before at the park and it was perfect because once the race started, I knew that we would keep each other going! I finished the race in a time that I was VERY happy with and am SO excited about getting back into road races after not completing any for several years (between pregnancies and moving, it's been over four years!).
And Aiden was SO excited to run his first race, especially after watching Mommy run. We have been practicing during the week how to run a race. We would say, Ready, Set, Go and race to the swing or the porch or the slide in our backyard grass. Little did I know that he associated racing with running in grass. Chris stood with him at the start line trying to remind him to run towards the finish line where Mommy and Andrew were waiting. He kept telling Chris that he wanted to be on the grass. Well, lo and behold, when the race started...all the kids ran forward and little Aiden ran towards the grass! He was quite confused by the whole thing and ended the race about 20 seconds after the rest of the kids. (Video posted below!) But he didn't seem to notice and enjoyed the red ribbon that he got (which is now hanging from his doorknob) and the donuts afterwards!

All ready to go:
Daddy giving him some racing advice:
Our little racer, Aiden!
Check out the video! Aiden is on the far right, next to the grassy stretch.

5 comments:

Kristen and Mike said...

Yay for Aiden! That was adorable and it worked out well that he finished when he did because you got a great video of him crossing the line! :)

Grandpa Rogers said...

He runs like a wrestler!

The Petrie Family said...

OMG! That was such an adorable video! What a smile he had when he crossed the finish line! Congrats Julie on your race too! :)

Beyond the Sunrise said...

Jules, Chris and Aiden --- Great race! Only runs on grass; appears there is a future XC runner in the family!

Nathaniel said...

Congrats to Julie and Aiden! Running on the grass is much better for your joints. I am not surprised that Aiden already knows this.